Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Jody v. Running

Well, here I am again. Back at the beginning.
Since I last blogged, running and I have been through a lot. We were separated by injury - a huge bummer. Then, I lost sight of running all together when the day job took over my life in May, resulting in lost sleep and major junk food intake. During the month of June, running and I were in a fight. Let's just say runners aren't the only ones heartbroken when high temps force a race to close early. We planners suffer right along with you.
Until just a few days ago, I was still giving running the silent treatment. Then, out of the blue, my husband suggested we go for a run. In order for you to understand how random this actually was, I have been with my husband for almost 10 years (married for 3) and we have never run together. Ever.
I whined and pouted but I couldn't turn down this opportunity to hang out with my hubby, so I laced up those (somewhat dusty) running shoes and we headed out. We ran and walked for what was probably about 3 miles and, though it was not anything like my formerly magical running experiences, I felt like maybe running and I were on the mend. I did not, however, expect to feel motivated to run again any time soon. Then, along came an absolutely gorgeous day and that long-quieted runner voice crept back into my head and pulled me toward the door. I was only out for about half an hour, but I started to remember why running and I were friends in the first place.
We're definitely taking it slow, but I think running and I will be together again some day.

No comments:

Post a Comment