Thursday, April 8, 2010

If you can't say anything nice...

My friend Christine says my blog has been kind of a downer lately and I know it's true. I started this blog expecting to share more victories than defeats, but I've really struggled for the last few weeks. I don't want to sugar-coat my disappointment because this wouldn't be a real blog if I wasn't honest.
I got in my car tonight after an hour in the gym and felt totally defeated. Now more than ever I feel like this is not going to happen for me...at least not in May. After 2 miles on the treadmill, I knew something was wrong with my ankle. I stopped to stretch some more, but the pain didn't go away. It felt like it was traveling up my leg into my shin. After about 10 minutes of stretching and rotating my ankle, I conceded and hopped on a bike. I think this is what the pain has been all along. I'm not sure it's shin splints at all.
I am scheduled to see the doc next week and we'll see what he says. Until then, I'll continue my biking and strength training, but with only 5 weeks to go, I may be out of the game.
I'm sorry if I sound like a Negative Nancy, but this is the true story of a wanna-be runner who is totally frustrated by the limits of her body.
No matter what happens, I know I'll get there some day and I won't give up on what has become the elusive half marathon. My honest-to-goodness best wishes to all of you who are in the home stretch of your training. I wish I could (and hope I still can) share in the victory with all of you!

1 comment:

  1. Best of luck, Jody. I know what you mean about hitting the wall in terms of training--I feel like I am so sore from the quick 5K I did this morning and it isn't getting easier! Stay strong and healthy.

    ReplyDelete